The Surrey neighborhood with the most heritage sites is Crescent Beach, with 35 sites.
Questions without an answer:
1) What is the correlation coefficient between the early settlements and the number of heritage sites per neighborhood?
In order to answer this question I require more statistical information about the past because in order to find the coefficient I need numbers. Perhaps, data with neighborhood boundaries over the years (as more got added how they changed), or the ages of the sites in raw data form? Due to the nature of this data set, I don't believe that I would need to do an FOI request as none of the information could be controversial in any way. I have already reached out to the city and they have been more than happy to help me, I believe I could simply call them again.
Datawrapper **Illustrating lead
According to the History of Surrey webpage, "when European explorers, road-builder, loggers, and settlers first came to [the Surrey] area, the Semiahmoo and Kwantlen First Nations People had already been here for more than 6000 years." The settlements, in present-day Surrey were set, "along the mouth of the Fraser River, at Crescent Beach, and at the mouth of Campbell River." These locations were chosen because rivers "were the inland routes used for trading and communication." Crescent Beach is at the mouth of the two major rivers that flow through Surrey, the Nicomekl and the Serpentine Rivers. This seems to explain the reasons behind where the heritage sites are located.
Below is a map from the Surrey History webpage that shows settlements in the City before 1900.
.
When considering the above map (a map of the past) to the one provided below by the City of Surrey (a map of present day) it seems you can see a correlation between the two. However, the raw dataset does not provide enough information to determine the correlation coefficient! Yet, the way the official heritage sites hug the rivers, the Nicomekl in particular, is quite interesting!
Additional Data Visualizations:
Below are two visualizations I created and I'm still developing!
Point Map:
This is a point map of the different sites, each point provides a link to the website with a brief explanation of each site. I felt this is an interesting and easy way to explore the heritage sites closest to you.
This is a Carto map I made of the official heritage sites in relation to the "six town centers" that make up present day Surrey. I was exploring this style of visualization to try and see if anything in particular seemed interesting, although I have not found anything....yet!


Your chart was very simple and easy to read. I especially liked the charts to see how different the city has become in so many years! Furthermore, only coloring the top 3 bar charts was helpful to know what the focus was. Keep on doing what you're doing!
ReplyDeleteYour datawrapper visualization is nicely laid out. I liked what you found to be without an answer for your update.
ReplyDelete