Tuesday, 11 October 2016

Data Update One -

1. What dataset will you use for your final report? (describe your dataset). 


The dataset I plan to use for my final report is from the City of Surrey dataset website and it focuses on Heritage sites around the city. The dataset has been updated since it was published and I will be manually updating it. The information I will use for row 114 is on this City of Surreys -Heritage Register page, and the information for row 115 is on this City of Surrey- Heritage Register page. I have corresponded with the City Heritage Department to ensure that this would be accurate.

2. Describe the dataset. What kind of data does it contain?


The dataset contains a wide range of information on all the heritage sites in Surrey. The resolution dates of the sites in this dataset date back as far as 1997 and there are new resolutions as recent as 2016. The status of a site is also included, such as whether a heritage site is only registered or if it is registered and protected (a very important difference for the security of that site). The dataset also includes the reason for deeming a site as heritage. It is important to note that a heritage site in Surrey does not have to be a built structure but it can also be a natural site.

3. Is there anything about your data that you don’t understand? (i.e. what a column heading means). How will you find this out?


The way that the dataset has been layout is quite clear. I don't have any questions about what anything means I just hope I have enough information to find some interesting patterns on how the city works with its heritage sites.

4. What are some questions you hope to answer with your data? List at least three. (you don’t need the answers at this point)


-Is one type of heritage site more likely to become protected than others?
-What is the most protected type of heritage property?
-Is there one area with a great concentration of protected sites or are they scattered throughout?
-Is there an increase/decrease in heritage sites over the years?
-Is there an increase/decrease in protected heritage sites over the years?

3 comments:

  1. This is definitely a great topic you chose and I can't wait to see your findings. Based on the questions you've posed, you have a clear idea of what you plan on doing. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you have any hypothesis's about what you may find when examining the the dataset in question? Do you think that more heritage sites that are closer together may have a higher chance of becoming protected

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am curious as to your completed work will look like. We may be able to access Surrey's heritage sites through your visualization like never before.

    ReplyDelete